69 replies to this topic

#61 urbanachiever

urbanachiever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE(DaRooster @ Jan 16 2007, 10:16 PM) View Post

Whatever. I'll post my opinions as will anyone else. If you find my comments beneath you then don't reply to them. Ubanachiever likes them it gives him something to say, he has nothing else to contribute to the discussion other than picking a few of my posts apart.
And the post about the white room was not meant to be a cerebral commentary, just a simple analogy to get a point across, sorry it pushed your buttons.

Just trying to understand what you were trying to say.. And I dont really see how it relates to the topic of why there is something instead of nothing, which in fact is quite an interesting question.

#62 geigertube

geigertube

ZOMG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Location:Secret HQ in geostationary orbit above Kansas City, MO

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(DaRooster @ Jan 16 2007, 07:16 PM) View Post

Whatever. I'll post my opinions as will anyone else. If you find my comments beneath you then don't reply to them. Ubanachiever likes them it gives him something to say, he has nothing else to contribute to the discussion other than picking a few of my posts apart.
And the post about the white room was not meant to be a cerebral commentary, just a simple analogy to get a point across, sorry it pushed your buttons.

Don't worry, I'm not losing any sleep over it. I'm just participating in the posting of opinions by expressing my opinion about your opinions.
you can cut your split ends, but you can't cut your roots.

#63 urbanachiever

urbanachiever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(geigertube @ Jan 17 2007, 07:40 PM) View Post

Don't worry, I'm not losing any sleep over it. I'm just participating in the posting of opinions by expressing my opinion about your opinions.

well put.

#64 DaRooster

DaRooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(urbanachiever @ Jan 17 2007, 07:22 PM) View Post

Just trying to understand what you were trying to say.. And I dont really see how it relates to the topic of why there is something instead of nothing, which in fact is quite an interesting question.

The point was, you are, by definition, only relative to that which is around you. you define yourself by your environment/Relative plane. You are a male. but you only know this because the thing called female exists. Light would not be a quantifiable thing if it where not for darkness. What of heat if it where not of cold and so forth. We live in the relative plane where all relationships are Diads. In the spiritual real all thing are triads.
There is not relative experiences in that realm because all things are one. All things are known. God can only experience Its self through that which he created on the relative plane.

#65 Par Deus

Par Deus

Supplement God

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,297 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(DaRooster @ Jan 17 2007, 08:11 PM) View Post

The point was, you are, by definition, only relative to that which is around you. you define yourself by your environment/Relative plane. You are a male. but you only know this because the thing called female exists. Light would not be a quantifiable thing if it where not for darkness. What of heat if it where not of cold and so forth. We live in the relative plane where all relationships are Diads. In the spiritual real all thing are triads.
There is not relative experiences in that realm because all things are one. All things are known. God can only experience Its self through that which he created on the relative plane.

Before Christ called and wants its philosophical discoveries back.

Posted Image

I exist to do 3 things.
Drink beer, kick ass, and take names.
And, I'm to drunk to spel.

www.avantlabs.com

#66 DaRooster

DaRooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:59 PM

So back to the original question "why is there something instead of nothing.

I think Gods only purpose is to create. The only way to create is to create something..instead of nothing.
But that doesn't satisfy the problem of how can there be a God if, before he/she created the relative /Metaphysical plane, there was nothing. At lest nothing physical. And who/what created God. I think in order for God to be a God of creation God had to come from creation, a product of creation.
Just to clarify myself: I feel evolution is part of any creation.

#67 Par Deus

Par Deus

Supplement God

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,297 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(DaRooster @ Jan 23 2007, 02:59 PM) View Post

I think Gods only purpose is to create. The only way to create is to create something..instead of nothing.
But that doesn't satisfy the problem of how can there be a God if, before he/she created the relative /Metaphysical plane, there was nothing. At lest nothing physical. And who/what created God. I think in order for God to be a God of creation God had to come from creation, a product of creation.

There is not and cannot be, that type of shit is why most of got bored with philosophy in the latter years of college and turned our attention to drugs of abuse.

Posted Image

I exist to do 3 things.
Drink beer, kick ass, and take names.
And, I'm to drunk to spel.

www.avantlabs.com

#68 ATB

ATB

Eagle Scout at your service

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(DaRooster @ Jan 23 2007, 02:59 PM) View Post

Just to clarify myself: I feel evolution is part of any creation.

That's the point.

You HAVE to have a means by which nothing can become something. And the only logical way out is to presuppose -and it is consistent with some acceptible physics interpretations- that as 'something' emerges, the possible range of possibilities goes down and not up, and therefore, before something, there is, eventually, an infinitely probable chance of 'something' emerging.

The logic is elegant, simple, and I think quite effective in a very general way.
Whisper - maintains a benign demeanor and carefully avoids open conflict. When aroused, however, she will send vigorous attacks to sympathetic forum participants via private e mail in an attempt to sway the tide of battle. A typical Whisper maneuver is to "accidentally" post an ambiguously critical, but ostensibly private message to the discussion forum, e.g., "Dear Mary - see what I mean about this guy?" Or, "John - did you read what Bill said? I rest my case!" When challenged she will protest (disingenuously) that she hit the "reply" key by mistake, that the message was never intended to be read by forum participants, that the message was out of context, etc. Whisper's intent is to gain a tactical advantage by leaving the impression that her side in the conflict is gathering heavy forces just over the horizon, and though transparently obvious to veteran Warriors, this feint can often blunt a successful attack by less experienced fighters. http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/

#69 DaRooster

DaRooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(ATB @ Jan 24 2007, 05:19 PM) View Post
That's the point.

You HAVE to have a means by which nothing can become something. And the only logical way out is to presuppose -and it is consistent with some acceptible physics interpretations- that as 'something' emerges, the possible range of possibilities goes down and not up, and therefore, before something, there is, eventually, an infinitely probable chance of 'something' emerging.

The logic is elegant, simple, and I think quite effective in a very general way.

WOW What happened to all you shade tree academics?
I guess the Admin and the other self appointed brains got tired of trying to think instead of respond to my posts...
Thinking is hard, but to just give up the topic all together?....I'm not impressed guys...LOL

#70 neuron

neuron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:22 PM

http://www.hedweb.co...sm/nihilfil.htm-Why is there something instead of nothing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users